When the biggest obstacle in getting the treatment you need, is your family

This issue is kind of close to me, coming from an abusive family, where they would not only treat me like I was beneath them. But also  when I stuck up for myself I'd be physically and emotionally abused, and treated as if I was the bad person. Family can be as toxic as cancer, when family members stop you from getting the help that you need. It's difficult, especially when you are younger to overcome it. 

They condition you to see getting help and the things that go along with having a mental health issue, as being your fault. Instead of being the fault of having a valid medical condition, which impacts every single aspect of a person's life. 

Thankfully  I learned to disregard their toxic petty remarks, regarding the difficulties of having ADHD. Instead of letting comments such as "ADHD isn't real it's just an excuse to be lazy and stupid or Adduhhh"  and so on.  What I did is focus on the following things. Instead of focusing on the harmful abusive things attached to my family. 

  • Educating myself, and focusing on what I needed to do in order to effectively understand my own mental health treatment. 
  • Learning how to recognize the difference between toxic and healthy relationships 
  • Implementing coping strategies, and boundaries
  •  Understanding the complexities that go along with ADHD
  • Prescription drug adherence 
  • Conflict resolution skills 

When I learned where they were coming from. I started to realize there issues had nothing to do with not understanding what adhd is. That they are just bad human beings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May is mental health awareness month

Why religion isn't always the answer

The Frustrations of friends and family and Living with a Mental Health Issue